Monday, 29 November 2010

Hoax is home, Bowerlands & Life Lessons

Well Hoax is back from visiting Reef, Lauren, Matt and family in Devon. She looks so well and has obviously had a lovely time. Bowerlands (Laurens home) is so beautiful that I wish I was closer, but I don't think I would ever leave!!! I have booked a weekend away in February at Bowerlands (Hayloft) which I am so looking forward to, two of my lovely friends are coming along and we are planning on chatting, training our dogs and sampling the local pubs!

I love Laurens dogs and puppies and to have a chance to see and cuddle Reef and his newest offspring was amazing, it makes me even more excited than ever for puppies and I know how fantastic they are going to be. The socialisation that Laurens pups get is brilliant: with different people and dogs through the door all the time they can't help but be outgoing little things.

Mark Lakers Sports Psychology seminar was brilliant. It was about how to cope with the mental aspect of training and competition and rings so true to me. We also talked about negative influences and comments and how they affect you and your performance. 'Joe Bloggs' comment last year of how your dog doesn't jump well through a tight line (for example) sticks with you in your subconscious and pops up at the most inconvenient times and affects your performance. Things like that can also affect your life and decision making. My New Years Resolution is to try to surround myself with those wonderful friends who offer support and 'constructive critisism' and point out the positives. And try to build a little resistance to those who make negative comments either directly to myself or 'on the grapevine'. Also to be more aware of how my comments can affect a life or a handler for a long time to come. Labels truly build labels; if I tell everyone my dog is a pole knocker, everyone will believe my dog is a pole knocker... the next time I see that person and they ask how my 'clumsy' dog is: that reinforces my negative belief that my dog is a poor jumper. Mark has wonderful methods on how to change and improve your mental state and this in turn along with well written training plans, short term and long term goals will improve your performance in training and in the ring. If you havent attended one: do! It could well change your entire agility career!

Sports Psychology Seminar

No comments: