Tuesday, 7 April 2009

UKA Shows

Well we have had a few weekends at UKA shows now and have had a chance to get a feeling for both dogs.

Boo is working well and apart from trying to be naughty on his contacts sometimes and releasing himself he is working really well. He feels great and I think we may actually have a chance for the IFCS qualifiers after all. Lots of UKA shows are key as I need to keep working on training rounds and mix in some competitive ones. Also I need points towards the qualifiers so will keep pushing for that. He has had a nice few places and if I can keep his turns tight on a run is right up there.

Hoax is, as always, great or awful. She did some lovely runs and won all classes, bar one, that she went clear in. She coped with the higher UKA height really well and her contacts and waits were nice. But weaves are still and issue. The entry is the biggest problem at the moment as she keeps going in the second pole regardless of entry angle etc. I started to feel like I had an issue and was being odd and hanging back etc even when she did get the entry. Rather than starting to worry I decided I would train all my runs except Steeplechase as there are no weaves in this. I can then reward good performance and not worry and really drive through the weaves. She seemed to improve a little and I will continue to do this next week aswell.

Back at home I have set six weaves in the garden with a bar just on poles 2/4 as thats the pole she has an issue with. I am driving her at it very fast and from odd angles too to help her really think about the entry. (Thanks Toni D) I am just going to keep working her weaves and use lots of high value rewards and hope it comes good.

No comments: