Monday, 21 April 2008

The frustrations of a young dog handler

The weekend started off with a training session with Toni Dawkins on Friday, Hoax was first followed by Boo later on. Hoaxey was really a good girl, she ran very well and weaves, contacts etc were fine. Her weaves need more independance as she is still not staying in them if I run off too far and she stops too late on her contacts when I do the same so this is definately something we need practise on. Otherwise she was really good. She did her scoops, dig strides, wrong end of tunnel etc etc- I was so proud as she was turning quide wide when Toni saw us last and she has now improved a lot!

Boo was PM and was just fantastic. I LOVE that dog, great contacts, fab weaves, good turns etc etc. He really is working extremly well, despite lack of training from my side!

Well, this weekend was Wallingford. Saturday was grey and wet which meant I didn't get to run at all (I decided at the beginning of the year NOT to run when it is wet out as it isn't worth risking anything) so Boo ran pairs for Nic and teams for Stuart. He was a really good lad and went clear in both runs. My angel lad!

Sunday was Small/ Medium day which meant Hoaxey time! We started with G3 Agility. She set off flying and then cocked up the weaves... grrr. The rest was perfect so it was dissapointing but I wasn't too worried. Next up G3-4 Agility, Start was jump, weaves. Still went wrong! Then pairs and she set off so fast I didnt turn her properly at jump 2 and she overshot it- ah well- but then we STILL messed up the weaves! Finally a lovely G3 Jumping course, guess what- yup weaves again! The frustrating thing is that the rest is looking so good. She has her confidence now in the ring so is certainly quick enough, contacts are nice, turns, sendons etc but she attacks the weaves like a total beginner!

Well I know we need more practise and proofing on them at home. So this will be my focus for the next few weeks. I will also try very hard not to let it become an issue in the ring as she will just get more stressed about them so we will try to not worry.

Feeling a bit low about it today- especially with everyone elses successes this weekend- I am incredibly pleased and proud for and of them but wish we could just get round a course too! :)

Oh Boo ran pairs and got another clear round for me this time- we would have had fantastic runs except for the fact that Tassle went off for a five second mid course sniff! LOL we still came 7th!

Ah well- I still adore my little merlie girlie and I know she will be just fine soon enough!

3 comments:

yvette said...

hi gem, feel the same as you everyone doing so well and i feel so frustrated..i think we need some confidence building things..what i don't know yet but will think of something, hoax was looking good and she is working well despite what you think, she is still very young and will i promise you be fine..put it down to your hormones making you feel low..honestly she is looking great, don't over worry about things big hugs for you both.

y xxx and big smiles from skatey xxx

Sara K said...

Weave issues must have been catching this weekend! We had 'issues' last year & I put it down to Tia being young & my raging hormones (& the fact I have had issues with my beardie x!) - Worked really hard all winter & was confident it was now not an issue..guess what happened on Sat? Yep, faults in all classes at the weaves! I know how frustrated you are, me too!!! Everything else superb! Was only my first KC show this year, so like you am trying not to get hung up on it! Hoaxey is younger than my girl too, so lets just hope it is a 'baby' thing & the penny will drop how to slow down to get the entry!!!! Was lovely to see her on Sat & Finlay loves his T shiirt & Fleece! He will no doubt be paradding them at WBSD show next Sunday! Keep your pecker up! It will all work out fine!!!!

nellie-bean's blog said...

It'll be good soon Gemma. Don't worry. hx